City's Midfield Rebuild Takes Shape as Fernandez Chase Continues
Manchester City's midfield overhaul is accelerating, with the club seemingly undeterred by Chelsea's hardball tactics over Enzo Fernandez. Despite a deadline passing without a bid, the Blues are expected to return for the Argentine.
Transfer insider Fabrizio Romano has suggested that City are likely to try again for Fernandez, even though Chelsea set a 5pm cutoff last Friday for offers. With that window now shut, any prospective deal would require direct negotiation with the London club.
Romano, speaking on his YouTube channel, was clear that City have not abandoned their interest. "Manchester City are still thinking of Enzo Fernandez," he said, adding that the club are "not giving up" on the midfielder despite the missed deadline.
The situation has shifted, though. There is no longer a verbal agreement in place for the player's exit. It is now Chelsea who hold the cards, deciding whether to sell and at what price. Romano noted that Chelsea's message remains firm: "We are in control. We decide. And we will be happy to keep him."
Yet City are not going away. They remain in contact with the player's agent, keeping the lines open as they assess their options.
The urgency is understandable. City are set to lose Rodri to Barcelona, with the Spain international expected to complete a move to the Catalan giants. Romano reports that Rodri will be in Barcelona next week, with all paperwork being prepared. The deal, he says, is effectively done.
Rodri's decision to join Barcelona was made around ten days ago, according to Romano. Barcelona entered the negotiations strongly, and personal terms were agreed. The contract, salary, and paperwork are all in place.
There was late interest from Real Madrid, but only after the World Cup did Florentino Perez give the green light for a move. Initially, Perez was not keen on Rodri being used as a pawn in the presidential election campaign of Enrique Riquelme. By then, however, Rodri had already made up his mind.
To fill the void, City are closing in on Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi. Reliable journalist Ben Jacobs reported that terms are already in place for the Moroccan midfielder. Romano expects City to finalise the deal shortly, with personal terms agreed and progress expected with Lille imminently.
Meanwhile, Chelsea are undergoing their own changes. Benoit Badiashile is set to join Napoli on loan, with a medical scheduled in Rome. The deal includes a buy option set at €27 million.
For City, the priority is clear: secure Bouaddi and keep pushing for Fernandez. The midfield is being reshaped, and the next few days could prove pivotal.